Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Own the Podium?

As I am writing this Canada has 6 Gold, 4 Silver, and 1 Bronze medal in the 2010 Winter Olympics. I know it will change before it is all over. The Canadian Women's hockey team will do no worse than silver and I'm sure there will be more.

There has been a lot of talk about how the Americans are well ahead in the medal count and there is no way Canada is going to catch them. There is a lot being said how Canada is not going to own the podium. If you look at it Canada is doing very well at winning events. 6 Gold medals is only one behind the Americans and the Germans. 6 Gold medals is more than total medals won by the Chinese to this point. Where Canada is falling down is in the Bronze. Canada is not doing a very good job at coming in 3rd.

If you program intended to develop elite athletes is not producing its fair share of 3rd place finishes, I think you are doing ok. If 55% of your medals are Gold and you are in the top 5 in the games, I think you are doing ok.

If you look at the total medals won it isn't what the program was hoping for. But I don't know anyone who competes at that level, going out for anything less than Gold. If you are 2nd in the games for Gold medals won, you are doing what is expected.

I never thought I would write about how Canada is not producing enough Bronze medals but if you want to own the podium you need a lot of medals in every colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment