Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Olympic Spirit

I am rather excited for the 2010 Winter Olympics. They are about to begin. I know not everyone is a fan of the Olympics but I am.

The Olympics are something special. For 16 days the world comes together in sport. I know, that's the party line.

The Olympics remind us that there is more to sport than pro sports. It reminds us of a lot of people who train and compete in sports that we don't see on a regular basis. It reminds us of our national pride. It reminds us we can come together in peace.

So why do we need to be reminded of this stuff?

Olympic campaigning can be a very challenging and rewarding journey. It can define a person and set them up for great successes in the future.

Everyone should feel good about where they come from. Although fleeting at times, an Olympic medal can rally a nation. It can make you remember what is great about your nation. It can stimulate national pride.

I know that the Olympics are not without controversy. There are always protests and security has become a major part of the games, but how many other events is every country welcome and most show up. It is amazing just to think about it.

I know that not everyone likes the Olympics, but I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment