Saturday, February 20, 2010

Jon Montgomery Wins Gold

Last night Jon Montgomery won gold for Canada in Men's Skeleton at the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. It was the first gold medal won by a Canadian in Whistler. It was an exciting moment for all Canadians. It was a bit more exciting for me.

I have a few things in common with Jon Montgomery.

We both grew up in Russell Manitoba and we both graduated from Major Pratt School. I was in the Class of '95 he was in the Class of 97. We grew up less than a block apart. I lived on the corner of Parkview Blvd and Memorial Ave. He was almost a block north on Memorial. His mom was the real estate agent the handled all the purchases and sales of houses my family lived in when we lived in Russell. We lived in a few. His dad was a principal for many years and returned to teaching for the last few years. He taught me Grade 10 Geography and Grade 11 History. His dad and my dad were members of the Lions Club in Russell at the same time. So there were a few things in common growing up.

I never expected anyone I knew growing up to win an Olympic Gold Medal in any sport. Russell Manitoba is a small town. There were more people in my first year intro Psychology class in university than there were in the high school portion of Major Pratt. It's a rather small pool to pick from.

As I watched the coverage last night there were a few things that struck me.

I was amazed at how elated but respectful Jon was during the several interviews he gave. He complimented the other sliders and clearly explained what is so great about sport. I was overwhelmed at how much the crowds embraced a small town boy from Russell Manitoba. I was happy to see someone I grew up with succeed. I was very impressed with his dad saying, "When you start something you finish it, and tonight Jon finished it!" Those are words to live by if you ask me.

I don't know a lot about Skeleton. Really all I know is you go head first and really fast down an ice track. I do know that I am a proud Canadian and feel that pride swell every time a Canadian wins a gold medal, but last night I felt just a bit more pride since it was that goofy guy that grew up just down the street that won a gold medal. I will most likely never win an Olympic medal. I'm 33 and not good enough at any sport. I think its probably ok to live vicariously though a guy from my home town.

Congratulations Jon Montgomery on your Gold Medal.

No comments:

Post a Comment