Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving Football in Vegas

I was just in Las Vegas over American Thanksgiving. Football is central to this time of year and is even bigger in Sin City. There are plenty of opportunities to lay down a couple of bucks on a game there and plenty of games to bet on.

We have legalized sports betting in Canada in the form of Sport Select. It's ok. There are a few drawbacks to legal Canadian Sports betting. You can't bet on a single game and you can't put a
really big bet down. Us Canadians like moderation.

However in Las Vegas you can pretty much bet as much as you want, however you want. So I put down a bet on the late afternoon NFL game on Thanksgiving.

As you can see on the bet ticket I bet $100 on the Oakland Raider. The odds-maker gave me 13.5 points and the ticket would have paid $90.90 and I would have got my original $100 back if The Raiders won, the Cowboys and the Raiders tied, or The Raiders lost by less than 13.5 points. This was a big bet for me but I'm sure it was peanuts for what you see down there.

I can see how people get addicted to sports betting. I felt a rush of adrenaline as I told my bet to the bet writer. I also was wired as the game was coming to a close. The Cowboys were up 24-7 but the Raiders had the ball inside the Cowboys 20 at the 2 minute warning. If the Raiders were able to punch the ball in for a touchdown I would have won the bet.

The Raiders did not score.

The Cowboys won 24-7. I'll save you the math, that is 17 points.

I lost.

It definitely changed the experience of watching football. Even though the game was out of hand I still had a fairly realistic chance of winning my bet. It made it exciting.

Adding to the experience we watched most of the game in two different sports books. Much of the first half we watched in a fairly small sports book in Harrah's. For the second half we watched in the cavernous sports book in Caesar's Palace. As far as I could find this was the biggest sports book in Vegas. It definitely added to the experience.

Overall it was a good experience, it would have been better if the Raiders could have covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment