Monday, November 2, 2009

Fire the Coach

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers did not look very good as they were crushed in Montreal yesterday. They were sloppy, and appeared to have their minds elsewhere. Mike Kelly, coach of the Bombers took exception to being asked if the Bombers were lacking focus on the game they were currently in.

Here's the facts.

The game next week versus Hamilton is much more important to win. The winner of that game hosts the East Division Semi-Final. The loser may be out of the playoffs. After the Bombers performance on Sunday and the Eskimos winning the Bombers are out if they lose.

They were in Montreal, probably the best party city in the CFL maybe in all of Canada. Temptation is everywhere in that city. The women are beautiful and liberal. The adult entertainment is over the top. The language is entrancing. The party never stops. Now, I have no hard evidence to say there were some team members down on St Catherine's the night before the game but the Alouettes were undefeated at home. I'm sure the lure of the party probably got the better of a few players. I know it would be difficult to resist if I was there. I'm sure some of their focus may have been elsewhere.

The Bombers straight up did not play well. They couldn't move the ball or stop their very good opponents from moving the ball. That is usually due to a lack of focus.

I understand Mike Kelly's desire to defend the heart and determination of his team. I love how much passion he brings to his job. I've heard that and believe that he is a really good guy. Sitting having a couple of beers talking football with him would probably be an enjoyable experience.

I don't know if he is the right guy for the job. This blow up last night on the radio is just the latest in a long list of blunders the team, and most notably the coach seem to be making this year. I'm not in the dressing room, I don't know if they are a happy group, but when you barely show up and don't admit publicly that your head was not in the game I do hope that in the room they are honest with themselves and own up to each other that they were not focused or next week will be the last week that group of guys will call themselves a team.

No comments:

Post a Comment