Saturday, December 19, 2009

The End of an Era .... Again

On December 17, 2009 the Winnipeg Blue Bombers relieved Mike Kelly of his duties as head coach. It was quite the year both on and off the field. I'm not sure how the players feel about this. There has been some reaction in the media. There has been a lot of commentary in the media.

Here's what I know.

When Mike Kelly took over my beloved Bombers about a year ago it had an eerily similar feeling to when Jeff Reinbold took over the Bombers back in the 90's. There was a lot of talk early about how the team is going to be great. It wasn't.

As the season did not go as planned Mike Kelly became more and more confrontational with everyone outside the team and even swore at CJOB Sports Director and Hall of Fame Broadcaster Bob Irving.

It wasn't a good fit.

Maybe he is not meant to be a head coach. There are a lot of people who are really good in the #2 or #3 position but when you make them the boss they do not perform how everyone expected them to. That's part of being human.

So it appears that the Blue Bombers are accepting that they made a mistake. That is definitely a good first step, but now they have to get it together and find a guy that will make positive difference as a head coach.

I can say I was there when, ...., but I wish I couldn't

No comments:

Post a Comment