Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Patriots

I have never liked the New England Patriots. I'm not too sure why. It may the be the smugness that Head Coach Bill Belichik goes about his job. Maybe its because they just keep winning. Maybe its how they treated Drew Bledsoe so many years ago. I'm not really sure I just have never liked them.

Irregardless of if I like the Pats, I have to admit they are good at what they do.

A week ago they destroyed the Jets on Monday Night Football. The Jets are a good team. Next up they run the Chicago Bears into the snowy turf of Soldier Field. Again the Bears are a good team.

In this era, the Patriots seem to have figured out how to win. They change players and stay good. They don't get too old. The coach doesn't seem to get stale. It is a bit of an enigma in pro sports.

In an era of salary caps, and the cut-throat nature of pro-football the Pats seem to be able to put a great team on the field year after year. They are having another great season an will be in the playoffs once again.

I usually like teams that make an effort to be great. I believe if you do your best and your best is better than everyone else's best then you should be rewarded and admired. Despite all that, I still do not like the New England Patriots. I can't seem to get on the bandwagon. My mind understands how good they are but they have never captured my heart.

Maybe its the cold, calculating way they do their business. They are not an engaging team. They don't make it easy to like them. Having said that they are also not a hated villain. They are very neutral. They are the off-white of the NFL to me. It's almost like if no-one else steps up to win it all, we will just give the title to the Pats. Again, I know in my mind that is not the case. I know they work very hard, but I just can't seem to like them.

I know the New England Patriots are a great team. I just don't seem to like them very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment